Tuesday, July 8, 2008

New Beauty Blog

Have you ever bought something based on a girlfriend's recommendation? I'm sure you have, as have I. It had occurred to me in the past that I've come across many products that I have loved, hated, or have been ambivalent about.

A few years ago, one of my girlfriends and I were having a conversation about how interesting it would be to do product reviews on another girlfriend's personal website. The site in question was just a hodgepodge of favorite music, movies, pop culture tidbits etc. meant to be mainly for fun and to offer our opinions to whomever happened to stumble across it. Recently, with the popularity of blogging though, I thought to myself, " Really, why don't I seriously consider it?"

These are my reasons for starting this blog:

1) I very much rely on my friends' personal opinions as to the quality of a beauty product. I feel that I can trust them and whether I agree with their opinions or not, I can ask and expect them to substantiate their claims with honest answers. This is more than we can say about some of the morally lacking corporations that have made headlines lately.

2) No one knows me like my best friends do, so when they recommend something, they know what I value. Have sensitive skin? Passion for eco-friendly products? Weakness for delicious scents? THEY'LL KNOW.

3) Beauty professionals may know the business, but sometimes I prefer the opinions of an average gal. Someone like me, who can't always find access to designer products in her neighborhood or have the cash on hand to spend on luxury items. What would she use? What does she think are worth the money to splurge on and what should I skip?

4) We don't all have picture perfect skin, the most desirable features, or the know how of friends in the right places. What if I have acne or sensitive skin? I'm ethnic, what brands offer foundation shades right for me? My eyes aren't large with lengthy lashes, or even entirely symmetrical like the model in the demo picture, so how do I use that new makeup technique on MY face? I don't have my own professional makeup artist on hand, but I'd sure like the know how to look like I do.

5) I love product reviews. When new products come out, they advertise like mad. However, they would say their products are great wouldn't they? I'd like someone to use it first and tell me about it. What does it smell like? Most people love beauty products with a pleasant smell, as do I. Did you like the packaging? It may be a great product, but clever packaging makes any product edgier than its equally effective -but dully packaged- counterpart, because its fun! How did it feel? Everyone has a cosmetics pet peeve, I personally hate sticky lip gloss.

My earlier comment: "
. . . I've come across many products that I have loved, hated, or have been ambivalent about. " I wished I had a reliable resource to help me decide. I wished I had known whether any of my friends had used it and I wished I had more girlfriends or other female's opinions of it before I wasted my money on it. When I have bought products for the first time based on a recommendation instead of an advertisement, I've often been satisfied.

These are my five reasons for blogging, so I hope you visit soon for your BEST FRIEND's BEAUTY TIPS!

sincerely yours,

rOsE

[next post: a little bit more about me . . . ]

No comments: